Faculty Mentoring Program – Pedagogical Summer Program
The FMP is a professional development program designed to engage international scholars in customized, field-specific, and cross-cultural activities. Visiting international scholars are paired with Georgia State faculty to engage in academic activities including: teaching in an U.S. classroom, class observations, syllabi development and enhancement, course evaluation, and language enhancement. Georgia State faculty may also engage scholars beyond the classroom. Participants take part in cross-cultural experiences such as sporting and cultural events, visits to historical sites, and possible travel within Georgia and across the United States. Additionally, scholars have the opportunity to increase their confidence in English language skills through a customized Conversation Partner Program and an Intensive English Instruction Program, when requested. Click here to view our program flyer!
- Affiliated with International Institution (partner or otherwise)
- Hold a Master’s or Doctorate degree
- Interested in new approaches and enhancing pedagogical skills in their teaching environment
- Meet J-1 visa requirements, including English language proficiency and proof of financial support
The Pedagogy Course is a collaboration with Georgia State’s Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) – http://cetl.gsu.edu/ In addition to 16 hours of customized instruction, visiting international scholars will have access to learning environments and teaching equipment (CETL recording and learning studios, active learning classrooms, etc.). CETL will determine course content and participants’ foci based on a survey administered prior to the program. Offerings may range from active learning and assessing the impact of experiential learning to digital literacy and virtual reality.
- Coordination of admission and visa application (English language proficiency interviews, International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) fees, ISSS application including invitation letters)
- Logistical Support for airport pickup and drop-off
- Orientation and Farewell events
- On-Campus housing
- Access to university resources and services (e.g. PantherCard, Recreation Center, Library)
- Final program report to sponsoring institution
N.B. Airfare, in-country visa fees, and mandatory medical insurance are not included.